Expressive arts therapy
“Possibly the most compelling reason for use of the expressive arts in trauma work is the sensory nature of the arts themselves; their qualities involve visual, tactile, olfactory, auditory, vestibular, and proprioceptive experiences.” ~ Cathy A. Malchiodi
Namaste. I am a Melbourne based therapist who specialises in expressive arts therapy (MATh), Psychodrama (Associate Director) & T groups (Accredited facilitator). The depth of my professional expertise is through immersion in the mental health context in India and advanced education and work experience in Australia. Prior to becoming an multi-modal therapist, I was a Human Resources leader, Behavioural coach and advanced T group facilitator.
Isn’t talk therapy enough ?
It is well researched that talk therapy is NOT suffucient to foster a holistic mental-emotional-somatic-human-being. Rewiring from traumatic experiences requires a layered to access our inate healing wisdom. Focussing only on the verbal & narrative regions of the brain excludes the sensory, somatic, creative and emotional capacities required for deeper integration.
What is Expressive therapies
Expressive modalities (EXaT) integrate expressive arts therapy, Psychodrama & somatic therapy.
- Synthesize healing paradigms from East & West to promote mental health & emotional wellbeing.
- Shape a warm, safe and instinctual vessel to contain, expand, express, process and explore our inner & outer experiences through creative integration,.
- Adapt the experiential frameworks to suit any age, stage, culture and life experiences.
My Therapeutic Focus
- Complex trauma’s, PTSD, Family/Sexual Violence, Emotional neglect/abandoment/mis-attunement, Anxiety .
- Culturally sensitive, Strengths-based, Person-centric.
- Intersectionality lens with attention to BIPOC, CALD and queer affirming.
My approach is holistic and weaves -
- Expressive arts (art making, writing, sounding, moving, integrating -dreams, personal myths, ceremony & rituals),
- Centers the Body-Mind-spirit (authentic movement, mindfulness, visualisation, focussing, embodiment)
- Attention to Action methods (Psychodrama, improvisation, playback & dramatic enactments)
I believe that unearthing spontaneity is the key to resourcing, choice making and compassionate witnessing.
I acknowledge the Traditional Owners of the land where I work and live. I pay my respects to Elders past, present and emerging. I celebrate the stories, culture and traditions of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Elders of all communities who work and live on this land.